On the list of health supplements, you probably place beautifying ones way at the bottom. There’s muscle-building whey protein, mood-boosting vitamin D, and energizing caffeine. But taking a supplement for your hair, skin, and nails can do wonders for your health, appearance, and self-confidence, so it may something to start paying attention to. Today, we’re going over all the basics of how to maintain the health of hair, skin, and nails by taking an easy once-daily supplement.
What Is a Hair, Skin, and Nails Supplement?
First thing’s first: What is this kind of supplement? In general, beautifying supplements contain an array of nutrients—primarily vitamins, but also biotin, collagen, minerals, and keratin (more on ingredients below)—that are proven to strengthen and beautify the hair, skin, and nails. A good supplement in this category will help you get:
- Long, Strong Hair – Biotin—a B vitamin that plays a big role in the health of your hair—is often added to hair supplements to help grow longer, thicker hair. In fact, biotin deficiency is closely linked with hair thinning. Many hair supplements also contain keratin, vitamins, and minerals to boost the shine and strength of the hair.
- Healthy, Youthful-Looking Skin – Collagen, vitamin A, hyaluronic acid, antioxidants, and other powerful compounds are added to hair, skin and nail supplements to support the skin. These components work together to regenerate fresh, new cells, leading to softer, clearer and all-around more youthful-looking skin.
- Strong, Smooth Nails – Having weak nails is a major issue, causing everyday tasks like opening a can of soda to be extremely painful. Nail supplements contain vitamins and biotin to help strengthen brittle, weak fingernails. Taking the right supplements can help you grow longer, stronger nails.
What’s in Hair, Skin, and Nail Supplements?
- Biotin – Biotin (vitamin B7) is a B vitamin that’s naturally found in small quantities in foods, including red meat, seeds, eggs, and milk. Its primary use in the body is to help enzymes break down fats, carbs, and other substances, and deficiencies can lead to brittle nails and thin hair. As such, it’s one of the most common ingredients found in hair, skin, and nail supplements.
- Collagen – Collagen is a naturally occurring protein—the most plentiful protein in your body, as a matter of fact—that plays an important role in the muscles, joints, and skin. It’s key in the prevention of wrinkles, fine lines, and that crepey texture that tends to develop when you get older. Interestingly, studies show that ingesting collagen orally may be more effective than applying it topically, such as with a cream or serum, making supplementation a great option.
- Other Vitamins – In addition to biotin, these supplements tend to be packed with a bouquet of other vitamins that can help strengthen and fuel the growth of healthy hair, skin, and nails. Vitamin E, C, A, and B12 are commonly used in compounds designed for hair, skin, and nail health. Vitamin A is an especially powerful nutrient for the skin, primarily in anti-aging applications. In fact, popular skincare ingredients like retinol are actually vitamin A complexes. Niacin (or vitamin B3) is also used to help strengthen hair and stop hair loss.
- Minerals – Among the more surprising ingredients often found in these supplements are copper and zinc, two powerful minerals that can help strengthen the hair and nails and prevent breakage. At the same time, these minerals can boost skin health and are also commonly taken as daily health supplements to improve immunity, blood sugar levels, and heart health.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Hyaluronic acid (HA) may be added to your hair, skin, and nail supplement in order to help boost the body’s moisture levels. This is especially beneficial in skincare applications, as additional hydration can help the skin retain elasticity and appear bright and youthful.
- Keratin – Keratin is the protein that makes up your hair, skin, and nails, so, naturally, it’s one of the most popular ingredients in these supplements. This protective protein is strong and supportive, serving as building blocks throughout your body. In addition to helping build up the strength of your hair, keratin can also increase smoothness and shine.
What Is the Best Hair, Skin, and Nail Supplement?
Want to give this kind of supplement a try? We recommend our Top Secret Nutrition Hair, Skin & Nails from Hi-Tech Supplements. This high-quality formula promotes healthy and beautiful skin, hair, and nails, thanks to a potent blend of 29 unique antiaging vitamins and minerals, including collagen, antioxidants, and biotin. Pick up a bottle of this amazing formula and watch as your hair, skin, and nails transform!